MIDDLE SCHOOL ARTS
In the Middle School, students have the ability to work in any mode they would like, whether it be in the visual arts through pottery, paint, sculpture, or through performing arts through drama, orchestra, and dance. Students learn the technical skills of each subject and showcase their work via art shows, plays, and concerts every year.
The Visual and Performing Arts stand out at St. John’s School. Every student has had or will have the opportunity to engage with their creative side whether it be through painting, singing, dancing, or performing. St. John’s School recognizes the need for the arts as they provide students with an outlet of creativity and exploration through self expression. At St. John’s we offer visual art classes in all the grade levels, such as art and pottery, and performing arts classes, such as dance, orchestra, band, and drama.
Middle School Art students are budding artists whose works are worthy of public exhibit!
Middle School Art gives St. John’s School student an intermediate level curriculum that advances their understanding on fundamental elements of art to create more commendable artworks.
- Students demonstrate observational drawing skills.
- They produce drawings revealing knowledge of shading using two or more colors to create depth, demonstrating 2-point perspective, and using implied texture.
- They create representational drawings (variety of objects and animals) using variety of materials and in mixed media.
- They make prints using linoleum, self-portrait using variety of mediums, and a 3D sculpture using plaster.
Students show enjoyment and love of music through the uniquely beautiful hand bell sounds.
Hand Bells Ensemble is a club offered to St. John’s School students who wants to experience playing beginner and intermediate English Hand Bells.
- Students learn how sound is properly generated with English Hand Bells.
- They execute proper ringing technique.
- They perform proper bell maintenance and care.
- They learn Hand Bell techniques including Shelly ringing, 4-in- Hand, Weaving and Malleting.
- They learn to properly understand and analyze the hand bell score.
- They perform in Christmas Concerts and other events that require hand bell music.
Middle School Band students are instrumental performers and song composers!
Middle School Band is for the serious St. John’s School students who want to have an adequate knowledge of music theory and recording, to perform in public, and to learn a new band instrument.
- Students, with their basic understanding of notes, learn the intricacies of chord construction, harmonic analysis, and harmonic arrangements.
- They study the fundamentals of music recording and song composition. This will lead them to compose music, to record their original composition, and publish their music video through an online platform, like YouTube.
- They learn how to play guitar, bass guitar, ukulele and drums.
- They practice and perform on Café Nights, Christmas and Spring Concerts.
- They learn an orchestra instrument of their choice using method books.
MIDDLE SCHOOL CHOIR
Middle School Choir students are preparing to be bona fide members the SHS High School Glee Club!
Middle School Choir is offered as a club for St. John’s School students who want to experience choral singing.
- Students are divided according to their respective voice ranges.
- They practice songs for bi-weekly chapel services, Christmas and Spring Concerts.
- They discover how to sing together in harmony – each giving value to the harmonic arrangements.
- They learn how to sing and perform in public.
- They participate in off-island performance tours, such as in Hong Kong Disney and other prospective international venues.
MIDDLE SCHOOL ORCHESTRA
Middle School Orchestra students are talented and multi-awarded musicians who seek to make a difference in others and in the community!
Middle School Orchestra is class offered to St. John’s School students who are proficient in playing a woodwind, brass, percussion, and string instrument. The orchestra is devoted to provide its student musicians a sense of family that respects and cares for each other, a fun and intellectual musical experience, and a positive way to serve the school and the local community.
- Students have the opportunity to play in ensemble groups, such as: Concert Band, Symphony, and String Orchestra.
- They perform during the school’s Christmas and Spring Concert.
- They serve the school for its weekly chapel services, quarterly all-school prayer gathering, and fund-raising events.
- They help local community groups for their musical needs.
- They participate in the annual Tumon Bay Music Festival to experience the challenges and benefits of competition.
Middle School Pottery is a yearlong course designed to introduce St. John’s School students to the basics of pottery and techniques of rending in three- dimensional space.